History of Alpine Lake
Alpine Lake started in the late 1960s as "Mountaintop Vacationland," a development spearheaded by Terra Alta and Preston County business leaders. From the early 1930's, the property itself had been a hunting and fishing club owned by Arlie Hull. At that time, the lake (Hull's Lake) consisted of 65 acres.
Mountaintop Vacationland was purchased in 1971 by Morgantown industrialist J.W. Ruby. It was under his direction that the development was renamed Alpine Lake, greatly expanded, and the complete plan for a residential community drawn up. After Ruby's death, Alpine Lake was turned over to the property owners; the Alpine Lake Property Owners Association now manages all aspect of the community. Alpine Lake encompasses almost 2,000 acres of wooded land and thirty-five miles of paved roads providing easy access to nearly all of its 2,300 lots and amenities.
Amenities now existing at Alpine Lake Resort include the following:
- A 150-acre lake stocked with a variety of freshwater fish.
- A sandy beach and a spacious boathouse (used for meetings, recreation, dances and cookouts)
Note: Motorized boats are not permitted on the lake -- only sailboats and other forms of "man-powered" fishing or recreational boats are allowed.
- A handsome Lodge which houses:
- A Dining Facility capable of seating 250
- Lounge and Conference Rooms
- Fitness Center and Game Room
- Indoor Swimming Pool
- Private Community with 24/7 Security
- Tennis and Basketball Courts
- 18-Hole Golf Course, Driving Range
- Miniature Golf
- Bocce Courts
- 35-Room Hotel
- Complete Sewage and Water Facilities (there are no wells or septic tanks in Alpine Lake)
At present, approximately 516 families own private residences at Alpine Lake. Of those homes, about 25% serve as full-time residences. Others are occupied on a seasonal or vacation basis and some are rented to visitors by their owners. The great value of Alpine Lake living is now more widely recognized and interest in new homes is increasing.
Alpine Lake includes about 2,300 separate lots. Lots are privately owned and are listed for resale with various local realtors.